What is Beard Transplantation?
Recently, cosmetic products offered for sale under the name of beard growing lotion do not ensure hair growth in areas where there is no hair growth. If you want your beard to regain its old appearance or reach the density you want, you should have a beard transplant operation.
Hair transplantation, beard and mustache transplantation are similar in many points. In beard and mustache transplantation, the donor area is the hair follicles located on the nape and coded not to fall out, as in hair transplantation. If the grafts (hair follicles) on the nape are not sufficient, the chest, arm and leg regions can be used as donors.
FUE Sowing technique and DHI sowing technique are generally used for graft collection and transplantation. Since beard density can vary from person to person, it differs from hair transplantation, generally around 1500-2000 grafts are needed for transplantation.
Beard Transplantation Information Guide
What are the Causes of Beard Loss?
With the success of hair transplantation with the developing technology, beard and mustache transplantation has also started to be preferred. Before beard or mustache transplantation, it should be investigated why the loss occurred in the area to be planted.
Beard loss is one of the questions that modern medicine has not yet found an answer to. Genetic factors, hormonal disorders, stress, dietary habits, alcohol consumption, misused care products can cause beard loss.
Conditions That Can Be Corrected With Beard Transplantation
- Wound, scar or burn
- Symmetry disorder
Techniques Used in Beard Transplantation
- FUE Beard Transplantation
- Sapphire FUE Beard Transplantation
- DHI Beard Transplantation
Who Can Be Applied to Beard Transplantation? Am I the Right Candidate?
The following criteria show that beard transplantation is applicable;
- Completed physical development (over 18 years old)
- People whose beards are shedding due to genetic and hormonal reasons,
- People with sufficient number of hair follicles in the donor area,
- People who have had a beard transplant before, but are not satisfied, have sparse or not dense beards, People who have problems in the area where the beard is due to burns or wounds,
- Those who cannot spare time for care and therapy and want a shortcut.
- Beard transplantation can be performed in people who have sufficient hair follicles in the donor area under the control of a specialist doctor, if no other problems are found as a result of blood tests and other techniques.
Beard Transplantation should not be applied to whom?
- Not recommended until age 22.
- People with chronic diseases, heart, blood pressure, kidney, liver failure,
- Those with cancer derivative diseases,
- People with panic attacks
- pregnant women,
- HIV positive or hepatitis C positive individuals,
- People whose values such as blood pressure, diabetes and diabetes are not normal,
- People with signs of hemophilia in a blood test.
If you are looking for a beard transplant operation and want to know which one is the best option, just contact us. After a quick examination by our specialist doctors, you will have all the answers you need.
How Long Does Beard Transplantation Take? How Many Days Should Those Coming From Abroad Reserve For This Operation?
The operation takes 3-8 hours. Those coming from out of town or abroad should stay for 1 night and 2 days. You can return to social life on the same day. There is an operation process planned as beard transplant operation on the first day and rest on the next day.
Things to Consider Before the Beard Transplantation Operation
Quit smoking 7 days ago, caffeine, green tea and alcohol 3 days ago.
Aspirin, as a drug with high blood thinning properties, may cause excessive bleeding during the procedure. If there is a drug that you cannot stop due to health problems, although it is a blood thinner, you should definitely inform your doctor about it.
When deciding on your operation day, at least coincide with a period where you can rest on the operation day.
Make sure you have a good breakfast on the day of your operation. If your operation is in the afternoon, choose a light menu.
Be sure to wear a button-down shirt or a zippered sweatshirt. Do not choose turtleneck sweaters and clothes that you will have to wear over your head. This may cause damage to the area where the beard is located.
Be sure to be at the clinic at the time specified for you.
Preparation for Beard Transplantation Operation
If we consider the time from the moment you enter the clinic to the local anesthesia stage as a preparation stage, the procedures to be performed in the hospital are as follows;
A blood test is performed to determine whether the patient has a disease that prevents him from undergoing an operation. While the blood draw takes a maximum of one minute, the results are available until the other procedures are completed.
- Blood test
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- PT (bleeding time)
Information on Graft Quality and Process
After the tests are done, information is given by Medifulya's specialist doctors. In this process, while the patient is psychologically prepared for the operation, on the other hand, information is given about beard transplantation methods, pre- and post-operative considerations, and how the quality of the graft affects the success rates. Here, the goal is to share natural results and to ensure that expectations are fully purposeful instead of unrealistic information presented to people for marketing purposes in advertisements.
Planning of Beard Transplantation
First of all, your expectations will be evaluated with the doctor who will perform your operation. It will be determined whether your expectations can be realized with technical information. Other alternatives that can be applied will be presented to you verbally and in writing. The distribution of the beards to the regions will be planned based on the beard design and the agreed number of purchases. Before the local anesthesia process starts, the last step is to shave the beard and to put on the patient's apron in the special room allocated to you. You are now ready for the operation!
Beard Transplantation Processes | Basic Stages of Beard Transplantation
Beard transplantation is the process of taking enough hair follicles from the donor area and placing the roots in the channels in the target area in accordance with the natural angle. Beard transplant operation is carried out in four basic stages; numbing the skin, collecting the hair follicles, opening the channels and finally adding the roots to the opened channels.
Beard Transplantation with FUE Technique
Stage One: Anesthetizing the Scalp
Local anesthesia is applied during the operation to numb the scalp. In the local anesthesia stage, the anesthetic agent is not injected into the scalp, but with the help of a device with a pressurized pump. The anesthetic substance is sent under the scalp by spraying with pressure, thus causing numbness in the scalp. General anesthesia is used when the doctor deems it necessary.
Second Stage: Gathering Hair Roots
FUE technique is generally used in the process of collecting hair follicles in Beard Transplantation. After the donor area, which we call the safe area between the two ears, which is coded not to fall out, is prepared for the procedure, the hair follicles are collected one by one with the FUE motor. In the meantime, it is very important that the roots are not damaged. Each of these roots, called grafts, contains an average of 2-4 hairs. An average of 1500 to 2000 grafts are used. The amount of graft can be increased according to the need.
Third Stage: Opening the Channels
It is very important that the tissue is not damaged during the opening of the channel and the blood circulation is not disturbed. The number of channels is directly proportional to the number of grafts to be used. After the hair follicles are collected, the grooving process in the area to be planted is performed with a metal slit or a sapphire-tipped pen.
Fourth Stage: Transplanting Hair Roots into Opened Channels
The last step after removing the hair follicles and opening the channels is the process of planting the hair follicles / grafts in the opened channels. The collected roots are placed one by one into the opened canals at 40-45 degree angles. After the hair follicles are carefully placed in the canals, the operation is completed. Since there is no skin incision, it does not require stitches and does not leave scars.
Beard Transplantation with DHI Technique
DHI technique is also used in the process of collecting hair follicles in Beard Transplantation. In the DHI technique, the hair follicle collection process is the same as in the FUE technique, but the opening of the channels and the transplantation of the hair follicles into the channels are performed in one go.
Stage One: Anesthetizing the Scalp
During the operation, local anesthesia is used to numb the scalp. In the local anesthesia stage, the anesthetic agent is not injected into the scalp, but with the help of a device with a pressurized pump. The anesthetic substance is sent under the scalp by spraying with pressure, thus causing numbness in the scalp. General anesthesia is used when the doctor deems it necessary.
Second Stage: Gathering Hair Roots
After the donor area, which we call the safe area between the two ears, which is coded not to fall out, is prepared for the procedure, the hair follicles are collected one by one with the FUE motor. In the meantime, it is very important that the roots are not damaged. Each of these roots, called grafts, contains an average of 2-4 hairs. An average of 1500 to 2000 grafts are used. The amount of graft can be increased according to the need.
Third Stage: Opening the Channels and Planting the Hair Roots in the Opened Channels
With the help of micro motors, grafts taken from the donor area, that is, healthy hair follicles, can be transplanted directly to the area to be transplanted.
- Grooving is performed with a choi surgical pen, the thickness of which varies between 0.6 mm and 1 mm.
- Grafts are collected from the donor area with a Choi pen.
- The grafts are placed in a medical device called a choi pen.
- Grafts taken with a Choi surgical pen are separated and cleaned.
- It is placed one by one on the scalp at an angle of 40-45 degrees, which is the most suitable angle.
- That is, grooving and root placement are performed in one go.
- It is a technique that does not require scarring, incisions or stitches and minimizes bleeding that may occur.
- With the selection of DHI Hair Transplantation method, grooving and root placement can be performed in one go. The quality and durability of the grafts do not deteriorate externally, as it allows the grafts to be transplanted as soon as possible. . Thus, the probability of retention when transplanted is quite high and is among the best hair transplant methods.
- Special Gold Cream Application
- It is applied to the donor area where the roots are taken before the patient is discharged. Special gold cream application prevents the pain, swelling and bleeding of the donor area and keeps the area sterile.
- Additional treatments such as prp and mesotherapy are recommended to nourish the planted roots and grow faster, taking into account the genetic factors of the patients and other reasons after the operation.
What awaits you after the Beard Transplantation Operation?
- You can wash your face after 48-72 hours.
- The transplanted hair follicles appear in 2-3 days.
- Due to the coagulation of the blood coming out of the small holes in the transplanted area, you may observe redness that can last 4 to 6 hours depending on the number of roots. These rashes can sometimes last for a week but are temporary.
- After the 15th day, the hair follicles enter a two-month shock shedding process after beard transplantation.
- In the third month, 30% of the hair follicles grow on average.
- In the sixth month, 50% - 60% of the hair follicles grow.
- At the end of a year, the roots planted are now grown.
Things to Consider After Beard Transplantation Operation
- It is recommended that the person rest the day after sowing.
- For the first 3 days after Beard Transplant, only front buttoned clothes should be preferred. The best choice is the shirt. Because the transplanted hair grafts can be dislodged in case of any friction.
- Bandages should never be applied to the beard area.
- The prescription given by the specialist must be strictly followed.
- Cleaning products recommended by the specialist doctor should be used regularly.
- No care products should be applied to the face against the risk of infection.
- Heavy work should not be done; Smoking, alcohol, herbal tea, cannabis, aspirin-like blood thinners, and energy drinks should be avoided for at least 3 days.
- The first week should definitely not lie face down.
- There may be itching in the beard planting area, it should not be scratched for the first 15 days.
Beard Treatments After Beard Transplantation
Treatments applied directly on and inside the beard, including medical treatments and anti-shedding sprays, should never be done before 1 month.
Contact with Water After Beard Transplantation Operation
- You can wash your face after 48-72 hours.
- After the operation, the face should not be washed by rubbing.
Hairdresser Procedures After Beard Transplantation
- Recommended for the first shave is the 12th day after sowing.
- After 12 days, beard trimming can be done with a shaver or a razor.
Why Turkey is Your Best Option for Beard Transplantation?
How are the Costs of Beard Transplantation in Turkey?
“Beard Transplantation prices in Turkey”, “Beard Transplantation prices 2022” Beard transplantation prices vary according to the method used and the number of roots planted. Pricing per graft, which is the most common form of pricing in the world, is not very common in Turkey today. Hair transplant prices are generally offered in the form of per-operation package prices. Prices vary according to the clinic where the operation is performed, the details of the package and the quality of the service provided.
Curiosities About Beard Transplantation
What is Graft?
Although the graft may have different meanings in medicine, it is defined as the tissue taken from any part of our body without vein and nerve connections to be transferred to another part of our body. It is the general name given to the nourishing roots to which the graft hair is attached, which is used in hair transplantation, beard and mustache transplantation and eyebrow transplantation. One graft can contain 1 to 4 hair follicles. The ratio of skin in the graft determines the number of hair follicles. For example, 2000 grafts means 4000-6000 hair follicles.
Can We Perform Beard Transplantation in Another Area?
Beard transplantation is a surgical operation and tissue transplantation is performed. Unsuccessful operations will not be reversible, so they must be performed in a hospital environment, by specialist doctors, under sterile conditions. Otherwise, the risks of infection and contagious diseases arise.
When can I return to work?
- First Day / Information, Blood test and other examinations, Operation.
- Second Day / Rest
- Third Day / Return to Your Country
The patient can return to social life after the first wash, that is, on the day of the operation. If you are not working in a physically demanding job, you can return to work in a few days.
What is the Success Rate of Beard Transplantation?
With the developing technology, hair transplantation treatments are achieving great success. Generally, this process is used to restore the beard in case of excessive hair loss, natural thinning or beard loss due to an injury. Between 10% and 80% of the transplanted hair follicles are suitable for development and growth.
Is it understandable that I had a beard transplant?
After the patient undergoes the beard transplant treatment and recovers from the ensuing healing process, the beard transplant becomes inexplicable and natural. Thanks to the developing technology, there is no unnatural appearance and pain.
Will I Feel Pain During Beard Transplantation?
The operation is performed with local anesthesia. Therefore, pain, aches and pains are not felt.
Does the Patient Need Medication After Beard Transplantation?
A prescription is given to the patient by the doctor. The patient should use the drugs necessary for treatment according to the doctor's advice. The maximum duration of drug use is 5 days.
Does the Patient Need to Use a Special Lotion After Beard Transplantation?
Special procedures are applied in the treatment of beard transplantation, and therefore, attention should be paid to contact with water. The medicine or product recommended by the doctor should be used regularly, this is a direct factor in the success of the process applied to your beard. Other care products cause irritation of the beard skin and channels.
When will my beards start to grow after beard transplantation?
The beard transplant operation lasts between 6-8 hours and the patient comfortably waits for the operation to end without feeling any pain. After the 15th day, the hair follicles enter a two-month shock shedding process after beard transplantation. In the third month, 30% of the hair follicles grow on average. In the sixth month, 50% - 60% of the hair follicles grow. At the end of a year, the roots planted are now grown.
Does the transplanted beard fall out after a beard transplant?
The hair follicles transplanted in the beard transplant operation shed for about 2 months, and this is an expected situation. Since the hair follicles are taken from the safe area that is coded not to fall out from birth, stronger and healthier new beards will grow in place of the shed beards over time.
Does the Patient Need a Second Session After Beard Transplantation?
Beard transplant operations can be completed with a single-session operation or more operations. The efficiency of the donor area, the width of the opening area, and whether the patient's beard loss continues are the main factors that determine the number of sessions.
Are There Risks of Beard Transplantation?
Beard transplantation carries risks, just like any medical intervention. Although the beard transplant operation takes a short time and allows you to return to social life early, there is a procedure that needs attention after the beard transplant procedure, so it is a long process.
As a result of deeper placement of the hair follicles, there is a possibility of formation of acne-sized cysts in the area. These dermoid cysts are common complications and heal over time.