What is Endodontics?
In order to understand endodontics, let's talk briefly about dental anatomy first. Crown on the part of the tooth that is above the gingiva and is visible in the mouth; The part that is not visible in the mouth and remains in the bone is called the root. Teeth consist of several layers. The outermost layer; It is the enamel layer that is seen above the gingival border. There is a structure called dentin under the enamel layer. Under the enamel and dentin, which are the outer tissues of the tooth, there is the pulp tissue, which is a soft connective tissue and forms the living part of the tooth. It is popularly known as the "tooth nerve". During the growth and development of a tooth, the task of the pulp is to nourish it. When a tooth is fully developed, the pulp tissue; It is to inform that the tooth is damaged or inflamed by transmitting the pain.
The term endodontics; It is derived from the Greek words “endo” (in) and “odont” (tooth). As it can be understood from this definition, endodontics is the science that intervenes and solves the problems related to the inner parts of the teeth.
More precisely, endodontics is the branch of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases related to the dental pulp (living tissue containing the vascular-nerve package) and the tissues surrounding the tooth.
After completing his dentistry education, the specialist doctor who completed his practical and theoretical education in the root canal treatment department and completed his doctorate takes the name of endodontist.
What are the Stages of Root Canal Treatment?
- Anesthetizing the teeth and surrounding tissues with local anesthesia,
- Cleaning the rotten and infected structures and entering the root canals,
- Determination of root canal length with apex locator devices and radiography,
- Shaping root canals using hand tools and rotary instruments,
- Removal of infected microorganisms using in-canal disinfectants,
- Filling and restoring root canals.
What is the Success Rate in Root Canal Treatment?
With the advances in technology, the success rate is increasing, the success of a root canal treatment performed with the right indication and in accordance with the rules has a high level of 90-95% on average. It should not be forgotten that root canal treatment is the last treatment step before a tooth extraction and there are always risks of complications that are not under the control of the physician.
Treatment Services Applied in the Field of Endodontics
- Treatments of damaged living pulp, direct/indirect capping and vital amputation)
- root canal treatments,
- Endodontic treatment of traumatized teeth,
- Retreatment of unsuccessful root canal treatments; correction of the problems remaining from the previous treatment during this procedure,
- Restoration of endodontically treated teeth (intra-canal post and/or core application)
- Endodontic treatments to complete root formation or to establish the root tip barrier (apexogenesis or apexification)
- endodontic surgery,
- Whitening of endodontically treated teeth.
I decided to have root canal treatment, what should I do?
Please contact us from the price section on our website or through our communication channels. Our expert operation team organizes the doctor, hospital, accommodation and transfer procedures for you from start to finish.