What is gastric botox?
Gastric Botox, which is a new generation weight-loss method, is defined as a treatment method based on the application of Botulinum toxin (botox) to the stomach, endoscopically injecting Botulinum toxin into certain parts of the stomach.
Gastric Botox is an endoscopic procedure and takes about 15 minutes with sedation. (Sedation: a state of light sleepiness, but not as deep as narcosis, that is, the patient is neither asleep nor awake)
In gastric botox, as in other botox procedures, the smooth muscles are relaxed by injection. In other words, a temporary paralysis situation is created. This effect starts in about a week and lasts for about 4-6 months. With the relaxation of the smooth muscles of the stomach, the gastric emptying time is extended and long satiety is created. In addition, to reduce the ghrelin, that is, the hunger hormone released from the upper part of the stomach, an injection is made in that area, thereby reducing appetite. These two effects contribute to the patient's weight loss. So to speak, when the patients take one step in the process, it counts as if they have taken two steps.
Gastric botox can be repeated as many times as desired. If the patient has lost weight and continues to lose weight, stomach botox can be recommended for the patient again. Gastric botox should not be recommended to a person who has had gastric botox but has not lost weight.
Satisfying results can be obtained with the support of a dietitian and appropriate patient selection from the applications of gastric botox. Another consideration for the success is the appropriate dose; The stomach is a large organ and low doses may end up with failure. That is why appropriate dose and experience are very important for this operation.
Who is gastric botox suitable for?
Stomach botox is a method that can be applied to anyone who wants to lose weight. This procedure is not an obesity surgery. However, choosing the right patient is very important and there are certain criteria for the patients that can be applied.
- Stomach botox is a suitable method for those who cannot lose weight properly with diet and sports.
- Body mass index is very important in determining the weight-loss method, and stomach botox is not recommended in such patients as it would be more appropriate to achieve success with obesity surgery in patients with a body mass index above 40.
- The body mass index of the patients who will be treated with gastric botox should be below 40. It is applied to people whose body mass index is between 27-35 and who are 10-20 kilos overweight and cannot lose weight with diet and exercise. In this context, patients who are overweight but not obese enough to be operated on and who want to lose weight constitute the ideal patient group.
- In patients with stomach ulcers or gastritis, after the appropriate treatment of these diseases, stomach botox can be applied.
Are there any side effects of gastric botox?
Botox has been used in medicine for years and has no known harm. As in every subject, Gastric Botox should be applied by a doctor who is an expert in the field and with the right dosage. Since gastric botox application is a standard endoscopic procedure, there is no significant harm reported in the literature. The procedure is not suitable for people who have a muscle disease and who are allergic to botox.
Does gastric botox make you lose weight?
No method, including stomach botox, is guaranteed to lose weight. It is known that stomach botox has an appetite-reducing effect. Dietary support after stomach botox application is very important and there is a possibility of failure in patients fed with high carbohydrates.
How long does the gastric botox process take, and is it necessary to stay in the hospital?
- Gastric botox is not an obesity surgery.
- It is done by entering the mouth endoscopically.
- There is no incision.
- The process takes an average of 20 minutes.
- Sedation is applied to the patients during the procedure. (Sedation: a state of light sleepiness, but not as deep as narcosis, that is, the patient is neither asleep nor awake)
- Hospitalization is not required.
- 1-2 hours of observation is usually sufficient after the procedure.
- A decrease in appetite and control in appetite control is achieved within about 3 days after gastric botox application.
Does gastric botox cause permanent damage to the stomach?
It is known that the entire effect of the drug used in Gastric Botox is completely erased from the body within 4-6 months. Therefore, there is no possibility of permanent damage.
When does the effect of gastric botox start?
The feeling of hunger decreases within 2-3 days after Gastric Botox is applied. After 2 weeks, weight loss begins to be seen. The targeted 10-20 kilos are lost. It is up to the person to increase the weight loss interval with dietary support.
Gastric Botox is applied only to the smooth muscles of the stomach, it has no effect on nerve cells and the movement of the intestines. Therefore, it does not affect increasing intestinal laziness. In the diet that will be specially prepared for you after Gastric Botox, (indicate this situation to your dietitian), an improvement in intestinal laziness can be seen by adding foods for the operation of the intestines to the diet.
Can it be applied to pregnant and lactating women?
Adequate studies have not been conducted on the use of Gastric Botox in pregnant and lactating women.
What is the expectation from gastric botox application?
Patients are expected to lose 10-15% of their total weight within 3-6 months. The amount of weight loss may differ from person to person according to age, metabolic rate, exercise, and diet support.
How should patients' diet be after gastric botox?
Attention should be paid to nutrition after gastric botox application. After gastric botox, especially fast-food style, excessive fat and carbohydrate content should not be fed. Carbohydrate consumption should be reduced. Maximum benefit can be obtained from botox application by adhering to a healthy diet program as much as possible.
What should be considered after gastric botox?
Consuming fast foods and acidic beverages is harmful. Botox applied patients get hungry later, feel full with fewer portions, and feel full earlier.
I Decided To Have Gastric Botox, What Should I Do?
Please contact us from the price section on our site or through our communication channels. Our expert operation team organizes the doctor, hospital, accommodation, and transfer procedures for you from the beginning to the end of the operation.
Our patients who want to have Gastric Botox should stop eating at least 8 hours before the operation day and should not even drink water. A total of 1 night's stay in Turkey is sufficient. However, patients who want to return to their country on the same day can return to their countries after a doctor's control.